College Coursework

There is also an opportunity for high school students to enroll in courses offered by institutions of higher education under the Concurrent Enrollment Programs Act. [C.R.S. § 22-35-101 et seq.] It is possible for students to obtain both high school and college credit for course work taken under this program.

In addition, students may enroll in postsecondary courses through a program called the “Accelerating Students through Concurrent Enrollment Program” (ASCENT) administered by the CDE. The ASCENT program allows a student to concurrently enroll in postsecondary courses in the year directly following the year in which the student was enrolled in 12th grade. The Concurrent Enrollment Programs Act specifies how school districts must count these ASCENT program students for purposes of per pupil funding.